Skip to content

Our Parish

If you have any questions or inquiries you can contact the
Parish Office by phone at 780-455-8592
or e-mail ​StEdmund.Edm@caedm.ca

St. Edmund Parish, like it’s namesake
St. Edmund of Canterbury, is a faith filled community that is ever striving to enrich their lives through the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.

It is a Parish that is reaching for the future while holding true to it pioneering past.

​St. Edmund is a Parish of the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton. We are located in North-Central Edmonton.

For over one hundred years St. Edmund Parish has been serving the spiritual and pastoral needs of North-Central Edmonton communities. We currently serve the communities of Athlone, Baranow, Caernarvan, Calder, Carlisle, Cumberland, Griesbach, Hudson, Kensington, Lauderdale, Pembina, Rosslyn and Wellington.

Together, in serving the needs of our parishioners, we are also working to build a deeper connection with the Catholic Schools in our area. We are proud to work with the Administrators, Teachers and Students of Katherine Therrien Elementary, École St. Angela Elementary, St. Edmund Elementary/Junior High/Sports Academy’s, St. Timothy Elementary and Sir John Thompson Junior High.

St. Edmund Parish also provides pastoral services to three senior homes in our area. Rosslyn Place Lodge, Shepherd’s Care Kensington and Kipnes Centre for Veterans.

The history of St. Edmund Parish is long and full of stories, spanning over 100 years. From humble beginnings in 1911 when Bishop Emile Legal, Bishop of St. Albert, blessed and called the new church St. Edmund. The Parish was named to honour its first priest’s, Fr. Edmund Gaborit’s (S.C.J.), patron saint – St. Edmund of Canterbury. St. Edmund Parish would be the fifth parish of the Archdiocese of Edmonton.

The first church was located at 12725 – 119 Street and is still there to this day. In 1950, the second church and rectory were built on the corner of 129th Avenue and 119th Street. It was a basement church and was blessed by His Grace Archbishop J. H. MacDonald on October 1st, 1950. On June 3rd, 1962, the last mass was performed at the basement church.

On June 6th of that same year, the new St. Edmund Church and rectory, at our current location, was officially opened and blessed. A Solemn High Mass was celebrated by Father G. A. Strickland, the then parish priest and he was assisted by other former pastors of the parish.

Together with the parish, St. Edmund School and The Sisters, Ursulines of Jesus, have grown together hand in hand, over the past 100 years. Without the love and dedication of our parishioners, past and present, we would not have this rich history to gather us in loving faith to God our Father and His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.